Camden County issued the following press release regarding a canned pet food drive to benefit its shelters. The collection runs throughout October.
If you love dogs and cats, a pet food drive sponsored by the Camden County Animal Shelter, Animal Welfare Association (AWA) and Almost Home can be the perfect way to help. Working with Camden County, the shelters will drop off collection bins at locations across the county. Each municipality has identified their collection site, and they are listed below.
“The Camden County Freeholder Board provides assistance and resources to the animal shelters located in the County,” said Freeholder Carmen Rodriguez, liaison to the Camden County Animal Shelter. “The County’s Division of Shared Services is working to pull County and municipal resources together in this effort.
The pet food drive runs from Oct. 1 to Oct. 31. Only canned pet food will be accepted and bin collections will be made every week.
“In addition to being easier to transport, store and organize, canned food is easier for shelter dogs and cats to eat,” Rodriguez said. “When animals are brought into the shelter, they experience a high level of anxiety as they become accustomed to their new environment. The smell and texture of canned dog food is more comforting to dogs in this situation.”
The goal is to have enough food to feed all the animals at all three shelters for two days, allowing the shelters to use the money that would have otherwise gone for food for those two days to cover other operating expenses.
“Working with shelters and mayors, this pet food drive will help to feed sheltered animals,” said Rodriguez. “We hope residents will help with this latest initiative to feed the animals through community contributions.”
Questions about the program can be directed to Maya Richmond, executive director of AWA at email@example.com or (856) 424-2288.
Pet Food Donation Drop Off Sites (call for hours where noted)
- Audubon - Senior Center, 247 Oaklyn Ave., M/W/F 9-3, T/TH 9-12
- Barrington - Borough Hall, 229 Trenton Ave., 856-547-0706
- Bellmawr - Borough, 21 E. Browning Rd., 856-933-1313Brooklawn -
- Borough Hall, 301 Christiana St., 856-456-0750Camden – Cam Co
- Library, Nilsa Cruz Perez Branch, 300 N. 4th St.
- Camden - Camden County One Stop Resource Center, 2600 Mt. Ephraim Ave., Camden, 856-968-4200
- Cherry Hill - Library, 1100 Kings Highway North, 856-667-0300
- Cherry Hill - Camden Co. College Rohrer Campus, 1889 Rt. 70 East, 856-874-6000
- Chesilhurst - Borough Hall, 201 Grant Ave., Chesilhurst, 856-767-4153
- Gloucester Twp. - Camden Co College Blackwood Campus, Box 200 College Drive, Blackwood, 856-227-7200
- Gloucester Twp. – Camden County Regional Emergency Training Center, 420 Woodbury-Turnersville Rd. North, Blackwood in Lobby, 856-374-6176
- Haddon Heights – Atlantic Avenue Elementary School, 21 E. Atlantic Ave.
- Haddon Heights - Glenview Elementary, 1700 Sycamore St.
- Haddon Heights – Library, 608 Station Ave.
- Haddon Heights -7th Avenue School, 316 7th Ave.
- Lindenwold - Library, 310 E. Linden Ave., 856-784-5602
- Pine Hill - Borough Hall, 45 W. 7th Ave., 856-783-7400
- Runnemede - Borough Hall, 24 N. Black Horse Pike, 856-939-5161
- Somerdale - Borough Hall, 105 Kennedy Blvd., 856-783-6320 x33
- Somerdale – Park School, 301 Grace St., 856-783-6261
- Stratford - Borough Hall, 307 Union Ave., 856-783-0600
- Voorhees – Camden Co Library, 203 Laurel Rd., 856-772-1636
- Voorhees – Camden County Store – The Mall at Voorhees Town Center, 2nd Level – Store #2015
- Voorhees - Town Hall, 2400 Town Center, 856-429-7174
- Waterford - Town Hall, 2131 Auburn Ave., Atco, 856-768-2300
- Winslow – Camden Co. Library, South Co. Regional Branch, 35 Cooper Folly Rd., Atco, 856-753-2537
- Woodlynne - Borough Hall, 200 Cooper Ave., 856-962-8300