UPDATE: Storm Shelters Open Across Camden County
From Gloucester Township to Camden, there are regional and local shelters open.
Camden County released the following Monday afternoon:
Camden County is operating under a state of local emergency and at noon opened a regional shelter at Camden County College’s Blackwood Campus inside the gymnasium. The Office of Emergency Management has coordinated with the Red Cross and Kennedy University Hospital to provide staffing and security for the shelter.
“The Camden County OEM recommends that residents remain in their homes whenever possible,” Freeholder Ian Leonard said. “If this is not possible, shelters are open across Camden County for those in need of emergency accommodations. We want residents to stay home and stay off the roads.”
Camden County College Gymnasium**
College Drive and Peter Cheeseman Road, Blackwood
Staffed by the Red Cross, Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) volunteers, Community Animal Response Team (CART) volunteers. Staff from Kennedy Hospital, Stratford is also at this shelter.
**UPDATE - Tue. Oct. 30, 2:07 p.m.: According to a press release from Camden County officials, the Blackwood shelter has been closed. Eight people took refuge there during the storm and have since found other accommodations.
The Camden County Office of Emergency Management (OEM) has recommended that municipalities open their local shelters. Municipal shelters open and staffed by community volunteers:
- Tippie Toes Daycare, 2C Rd Audubon Park
- Bellmawr Park Fire Department, 12 Essex Ave.
- Octavius V. Catto Community School, 3100 Westfield Ave
- Thomas H Dudley Elementary School, 2250 Berwick St
- Early Childhood Development Center, 1602 Pine St
- H.B. Wilson Elementary School, 2250 South 8th St
- Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy, 990 Morgan Blvd
- Malandra Hall Community Center, New Jersey & Merimac
- Isabel Miller Community Center, 8th St & Carl Miller Blvd
- N. Camden Community Center, 8th & Erie
- Haddon Township High School, 406 Memorial Ave.
- Paul VI High School, 901 Hopkins Road
- Calvary Baptist, 117 Nicolson Road
- New Jerusalem Temple, 1225 Collings Ave.
- Harry Williams Building, Black Horse Pike
- Mary Volz School, 505 W. 3rd Ave.