Girls Basketball Eliminated; Three Wrestlers Advance
The Collingswood girls basketball team bowed out of the playoffs, while a trio of wrestlers found success in the opening round of regions.
The Collingswood High School girls basketball team saw its season come to a close Wednesday night in a 39-25 loss to No. 3 Cinnaminson in the NJSIAA South Jersey Group 3 quarterfinals.
The Panthers were once again sound defensively, holding Cinnaminson in single digits in three of four quarters, but struggled to get into rhythm on offense. Collingswood was outscored 9-2 in the first quarter and never recovered.
Ellie O’Neill, who scored her 1,000th point earlier this season, led all scorers with 11 points. Her sister’s Molly and Meghan scored six and five, respectively.
Collingswood closes the season 18-10.
REGION 7 DAY ONE: Three wrestlers moved into the second round of the Region 7 Tournament, while six Panthers came up short. Collingswood's Mike Campbell had a first-round bye at 160 pounds.
Below are the results:
- Alex Irwin defeated Shawnee’s Matt DeBerardinas, 11-4, at 145.
- Ali Ayaz slipped by Haddon Township’s Marvin Japa, 3-1, at 152.
- John Deaner outlasted Sterling’s Edgar Castellano’s, 11-7, at 215.
- Donnie Daly fell to Shawnee’s Sean Cahill, 10-4 at 120.
- Zane Chunko lost to Tyler Beers, of Hamilton East, 8-1 at 126.
- Colin Lex was pinned by Burlington Township’s Aaron Lambert in 1:31 at 132.
- Shawn Clark lost to Haddonfield’s David Hessert, 3-0, at 138.
- Billy Crowley was pinned in 34 seconds by Hightstown’s Joey DeCristofara at 182.
- Pat Miles was pinned by Cherry Hill East’s Jerry Peralta in 3:55 at 195.